Knowing what's next helps.
Knowing what's next helps.
The quick overview:
- Report your claim by calling 800.342.5342 any day, any time.
- Talk with the adjuster by phone to describe the incident.
- Take your vehicle to a body shop for an estimate, or have us create one.
- Receive your settlement check (in most cases, less the deductible).
- Get the damage fixed.
- Pay for and pick up your vehicle.
- Have your vehicle re-inspected afterwards, if requested to do so.
If you have a car loan (lien), the settlement check must be jointly issued to you and your lien holder.
Reporting & Processing Your Claim
How do I report my accident?
Call us at 800.342.5342, any day or time or log into the MyAccount Policy Management Center to start your claim online. Please do not call from the scene of the accident — you may be distracted by police, tow trucks, or other involved parties. You won't need detailed information at this time, that'll come later.
Who will I deal with?
The licensed adjuster to whom you reported the accident to will generally investigate and process your claim. If your claim must be assigned to another adjuster, that person will contact you as quickly as possible.
What information is needed?
The driver must provide a spoken statement of the accident details; the statement may be recorded to support any liability findings. You will be asked about passengers, injuries, damage to your vehicle, citations, and information you may have about other parties in the accident
Were police at the scene?
If so, we'll need to know which police department and the report number, if available. Your adjuster will request a copy of the police report. You can help speed the process by getting a copy of the report and sending it to us.
How is fault determined?
Several factors are examined to determine fault, including:
- driver and witness statements
- police reports
- state laws
- general rules of the road.
You've filed a claim. Now what?
Next steps for your auto claim
Assessing the damage
Okay, so things are happening. That's good. It means your car — and hopefully your life — will soon be back to normal. But the process isn't over yet. Here's what to expect after filing your claim and describing the incident:
Assessing the damage
Working with any body shop you like
- You may submit an estimate from the shop of your choice by having them fax it to 978.236.5619.
- Email digital photos to [email protected]
- Include your claim number on the estimate.
- The estimate will be reviewed with in 1-2 business days.*
- If approved, the payment will be issued, less your deductible.
Working with our appraisers
- Our field appraisers can inspect your vehicle at the location of your choice.
- The appraiser will contact you within 24 hours to set up an appointment.
- The appraisal report will be sent to Electric Insurance Company.
- Payment will be issued, less your deductible.
- If additional damage is found once repairs have begun, the appraiser will visit your car in the shop to confirm the need.
Working with a Direct Repair Program body shop
- Choose from a network of pre-screened, preferred repair shops.†
- Schedule your repairs immediately.
- The estimate to repair your vehicle is submitted directly to us.
- We pay the shop directly, less your deductible.
- Work is done by trained, certified staff using the most advanced equipment and tools for quick and accurate repairs.
- Every shop offers a lifetime warranty on workmanship.
Wheels while yours are in the shop
- Additional transportation expense is an optional coverage based on the daily/maximum limit you selected.
- Additional transportation expense applies for the time you are unable to use your vehicle as a result of a covered loss per your policy limits.
- Please refer to your policy or your claims adjuster to confirm whether you have this coverage.
- Feel free to rent with the rental car company of your choice.
- If you have full coverage under your policy with Electric Insurance, your collision coverage carries over to any standard rental vehicle.
- Gas, mileage or any other optional insurance purchased with a rental is not covered under your policy.
- If the other party was 100% at-fault and you do not have rental coverage, their insurance may pay for a rental while your repairs are made.
Recovering your Deductible
Why do I have to pay my deductible if I wasn't at fault?
The deductible is the amount you chose to pay in any loss, regardless of fault. Your deductible will be reimbursed if we are able to recover it from the at-fault party or their insurance carrier
How long will it take to get my deductible back?
The recovery process can take up to several months, depending on the circumstances of the event.
Can you guarantee I will get my deductible back?
Please note that there is never a guarantee of recovery. Recovery can be affected by disputed liability, uninsured drivers, or many other factors
What about the extra expenses I paid as a result of this claim (i.e. rental, hotel, plane, etc.?)
Out-of-pocket expenses related to a claim for which you are not at fault can often be recovered by contacting the other person's insurance carrier. If you have questions about this, we are here to help. Ask us!
Hail Damaged Your Vehicle. Now What?
Have you been a customer of Electric Insurance Company for two years or more?
If you answered "yes" and don’t have pre-existing hail damage to your vehicle, we have a three-step shortcut that helps you get an electronic appraisal and a check for repairs without the need for a third-party appraisal.
We regret that state laws do not allow us to provide this service to our policyholders in CT, DE, MA, MN, NY, RI, or SC.
Step 1: Hail Damage Tool
Use the Hail Damage Assessment Form linked below to provide the information needed to quickly process your claim. Use it online as a fillable, savable PDF that you can email back to us. Or print it, fill it out, and fax it back to us.
Step 2: Take Photos of the Damage
Take photos of each area of your vehicle that was damaged. Your photos should show the same areas of damage as you indicated on the form.
Step 3: Email Your Photos to Us
Email your completed Hail Damage Assessment Form and photos to us at [email protected] Tip: You’ll want to move fast on any broken windows or windshields. Call us at 800.342.5342 anytime if your windshield or windows are broken. We’ll set you up with a local repair facility.