While you can't ensure no harm will ever come to your home, you can help guard against losses that endanger it.
Our primary focus is on taking care of our customers in truly meaningful ways. That's why we offer two homeowners coverage options: Homeowners Plus and Premier Choice. Both offer a rare and important coverage—Guaranteed Replacement Cost. It's hard to find elsewhere (just ask around) and is one of the most important things you can do to protect your home.
Use this simple comparison guide to see what types of coverage are available, how they apply, and what it's good to think about for certain situations and lifestyles. We think people want to make educated choices, so we provide real information about what coverage options include.
There are plenty more coverages available to supplement Homeowners Plus and Premier Choice homeowners coverage. We didn't list them all here, though; they're pretty extensive reading. If you'd like to know more, just give us a call at 800.342.5342. We love to talk all about the excellent products we have to offer.
Real-life Reasons to Get Coverage
Here are some reasons you might want the different types of available coverage.
- Coverage A (Dwelling)
- While 100% Guaranteed Replacement Cost coverage makes sense for any homeowner, it takes on extra significance in disaster-prone areas (wildfires, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, etc.).
- Coverage B (Other Structures)
- Anyone with detached, permanent structures on their property should consider this coverage. Especially people with elaborate workshops, pool houses or in-law apartments in them.
- Coverage C (Personal Property)
- While the house is probably your biggest asset, the contents cost a surprising amount of money. Appliances, clothes, electronics, furniture and other things you use on a daily basis add up fast. If you've got neat specialty items, you can schedule them for additional coverage.
- Coverage D (Loss of Use)
- If your house is damaged enough to file an insurance claim, it's probably too damaged to live in while repairs are made. Loss of Use coverage keeps you from having to move into your parent's basement. Again.
- Coverage E (Legal Liability)
- This coverage is especially useful for anyone who engages in activities where accidental harm could come to another, or who have children who could accidentally harm another.
- Coverage F (Medical Payments)
- If you, or anyone in your immediate family who still lives at home, hurts someone while they're at your home, this coverage pays for the medical care.
- Additional Coverages (Varies)
- There are so many unforeseeable times and occasions when you could experience a financial loss, that some form of additional coverage could probably come in handy.
Electric Insurance Company benefits
- 12-month policies
- Many insurance companies now use six-month policies so they can raise rates more often, or look really inexpensive at first glance. But we're sticking with 12-month policies. Our way locks in your costs for a full year. Cuts the number of renewal policies and ID cards you receive in half. And is just a little bit kinder to the environment.
- Broad payment options
- News flash: different people like different things. So when it comes to how you pay your bill, we're flexible. Some employees who have coverage with us through their employer's benefits program get it deducted right from their paychecks. Others have monthly payments electronically debited from a checking account. And some opt for the good-ol' bill-by-mail options: monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and more. Pick the method that works for you — it'll work for us, too.
- Convenient hours
- In an effort to be helpful, our customer call center is staffed 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. Of course, accidents can happen any time, so you can report claims by phone 24-hours-a-day.
- The MyAccount Policy Management Center
- Our online account center puts you in control: add drivers to your policy. Replace vehicles. View and pay your bills. It's easy — and all at your fingertips. 24/7.
Product, service, program, credit, and discount availability and limits vary by state. The information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a full explanation of products, services or coverage. For more information, please contact Electric Insurance Company at 800.342.5342. If there are discrepancies between the information on this site and the policy, the terms in the policy apply.
If you qualify for some (or all) of these discounts, you could save even more:*
- Employer group discounts
- Multi-policy discount (having both your vehicle and your home with Electric Insurance Company)
- Claims-free years discount
- Newer homes discount
- Extensively renovated homes (NJ) discount
- Length of tenure with Electric Insurance Company discount
- Fire alarm discount
- Sprinkler discount
- Burglar alarm discount
* Discount and credit availability vary by state.
Learn more about the definitions of these terms in the Glossary.