Do I really need flood insurance?

It is very likely that you do.

Whether the location is categorized as being at “high risk” or “low-to-moderate risk,” everyone in the United States lives in a flood zone. Still skeptical? Use this free tool from FEMA to find your property’s flood zone classification.

Keep in mind that “low risk” does not mean “no risk.” About twenty-five percent of reported flood losses are from low-to-moderate risk areas. In high-risk flood zones, the probability of a flood is high enough that mortgage companies require their clients to carry flood insurance.

Standard house, condo, and renters insurance do not cover damaged caused by flooding.  In general, only a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program protects your home and property from loss caused rising water, mudflow, overflow of inland or tidal waters, and local/or drainage problems.

Electric Insurance can help you secure flood insurance. Learn more about how flood insurance works and what your coverage options are.

Product, service, program, credit, and discount availability and limits vary by state. The information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a full explanation of products, services or coverage. For more information, please contact Electric Insurance Company at 800.342.5342. If there are discrepancies between the information on this site and the policy, the terms in the policy apply.