Home Claim FAQs

Should I report damage to my home, loss to my property or accidents involving visitors to my property to Electric Insurance?

Yes. Based on the provisions of your home policy, you must notify us promptly of any accident or loss (e.g., theft) involving your home. Not reporting a loss timely could potentially impact whether coverage will apply for the loss.

What information will I need when filing a claim?

While it is best to have as much information as possible regarding the loss as is available when you report a claim, keep in mind that you should report the loss as soon as possible, regardless of how much information you have.  
The following information is not required to start your claim but will eventually be needed. 

  • Information on all parties involved, the date of loss, the cause of loss, any injuries, and/or damage to any structures on your property or their contents.
  • A copy of your association’s bylaws if you own a condominium unit.
  • A copy of your lease agreement if you are a landlord or renter. 

If you report a claim online, a licensed adjuster will follow up with you to gather any needed information that is not included in the initial report.

Whom will I deal with?

The licensed adjuster to whom you reported the accident will usually generally investigate and process your claim. If your claim must be assigned to another adjuster, that person will contact you as quickly as possible.

Should I file a police report?

If the police responded to the incident, you may not have to make a separate report; however, if you are unsure, it is best to speak with the police department that has jurisdiction for your property’s location.

If the police responded, you should obtain the department’s name and the incident report number, if available, and provide these details to your adjuster. Your adjuster will request a copy of the police report as needed. You can help speed the process by getting a copy of the report and sending it to us.

Police reports are commonly requested by claims adjusters in order to verify the occurrence of a claimed theft or vandalism loss. Reporting the loss to the police and us as promptly as possible is the best way to prevent coverage issues and ensure your claim is processed as quickly as possible. 

What if my home has a mortgage or lien on it?

If your home has a loan or lien on it, the insurable interest of the loan/lienholder must be protected as well; thus, any settlement checks for damage to the structure will need to be jointly issued to you and the mortgage company/lien holder.

Why would I not receive payment for the full estimate amount?

The most likely cause is the depreciation applied to the value of your property. Depreciation is commonly defined as a reduction in the value of an asset over the passage of time. In the case of homeowner’s insurance, depreciation can be “recoverable” or “non-recoverable” and is based on the age and condition of the property at the time of the loss.

“Recoverable” depreciation is the amount held back at the time of initial claim payment and paid once repairs are completed or the applicable item has otherwise been replaced. “Non-recoverable” depreciation is not paid back at the time repairs have been made or the applicable items has been replaced. 

I have had a significant loss at my home; what should I do now?
  • Get yourself and your fellow residents to safety. Your safety should always be the top priority. 
  • Notify us of the loss as soon as possible. We have staff available 24/7 to help with immediate, emergency needs, such as contacting a mitigation company on your behalf or finding you temporary accommodations if your home is no longer habitable. We can also guide you through the claims process and guide you from taking any actions that could negatively impact the outcome of your claim.
  • Prevent further damage by contacting a professional mitigation company. Mitigation companies are available nationwide to assist with emergency services such as water cleanup, fire remediation, or boarding up a structure damaged by a fallen tree. 
  • Document the damage and the costs you incur. Taking photographs of the damage prior to any emergency services being completed is highly recommended, as those photographs may be the only available documentation to show what the property looked like prior to the emergency service taking place. Keep all receipts related to your claim-related costs. Many of the costs you incur may be reimbursable if they were needed to prevent further damage to your home or were additional expenses you incurred due to a covered loss.
My home is uninhabitable; what do I do?

“Additional Living Expense” is a common coverage included in most homeowners’ policies. It covers the cost of temporary accommodations needed due to a covered claim event that makes your home uninhabitable.
Contact the Claims Department and request assistance if you must secure temporary accommodations, as we can assist in rapidly locating a place for you to stay using our vendor, ALE Solutions.

There has been a major catastrophe in my area; how will you respond?

In the event of a significant event, our Catastrophe Response Team may be dispatched to your area to assist.

The team checks in on our customers while they are in a catastrophe area, whether or not they have placed a claim, so do not be surprised if you find one of our team members knocking on your door shortly after an event!

We may use satellite imagery and/or drone technology to inspect damage your home. These newer tools have greatly increased our capacity to quickly and accurately assess damage to your home, which means we can process your claim much more quickly.

If you experience a loss, report it to our office promptly and we will dispatch one of our adjusters to your home right away.

Do I need flood insurance?

Flood damage is NOT covered under a homeowners’ policy. Only flood insurance protects your home against rising water, mudflow, overflow of inland or tidal waters, and local drainage problems. Everyone is in a flood zone, whether high risk or low-moderate risk. Homeowners whose properties are located in high-risk zones will be required by their mortgage company to obtain flood insurance.

About 20 percent of all flood losses reported are from low-to-moderate risk areas. Electric Insurance places flood insurance policies through Wright National Flood Insurance Company. Electric Insurance acts as the customer’s agent for flood insurance. Coverage is limited to certain specific Building Coverage and Contents elements. Learn more about the ins-and-outs of Flood Insurance coverage.

Product, service, program, credit, and discount availability and limits vary by state. The information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a full explanation of products, services or coverage. For more information, please contact Electric Insurance Company at 800.342.5342. If there are discrepancies between the information on this site and the policy, the terms in the policy apply.