Not-So-Funny Halloween Pranks
Your vehicle is twice as likely to be vandalized on Halloween as on any other day of the year. The damage isn’t likely to be cheap, either: claims average $1,500. Take a few precautions – they may save you a lot of hassle.
- Park defensively — off the street, in a well-lit area, or inside a garage if you can.
- Make sure you leave the car locked and the windows rolled up.
- Engage the vehicle’s alarm if you have one.
Halloween Hazards: Liability Claims Against You
Kids amped up on sugar are likely to be even more impulsive than usual and forget normal safety rules — like staying on the sidewalk and looking before they cross the street. Decorations, pets, and walkways are other common sources of Halloween liability claims.
- Drive defensively and more slowly than usual.
- Put your headlights on — even when it’s not dark yet. You may be able to see well, but the added light may attract a child’s attention and prevent him or her from darting in front of your car before he or she realizes it’s there.
- Use battery-operated candles in jack-o-lanterns or other decorations requiring a candle— especially if they are outside and not under your supervision at all times.
- If you have a dog, keep it inside, preferably in a room away from the door, while trick-or-treaters are visiting your property. If you take it for a walk, keep it on leash. This protects both the dog and visitors to your property.
- If your dog is protective, place it in a quiet room, behind a closed door. A dog can interpret repeated ringing of doorbell and oddly-dressed children shouting as a threat to you and your property.
- Children may wear costumes that limit their vision or cause them to trip. Make sure your walkways and stairs are clear and well-lit to reduce the possibility of injuries and suits against you.
Taking a few defensive measures means you can enjoy the festivities with a lot less worry.
Our Risk Coaches are licensed insurance professionals who are trained to look at coverage from your perspective. They’re glad to help you navigate the often-perplexing world of insurance coverage. Start a quote online, or call us at 800.342.5342, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET.