Auto Claim FAQs

Should I report the accident to Electric Insurance Company?

The provisions in your auto policy state that you must notify us promptly of an accident or loss (such as theft) involving your vehicle. Not reporting a loss in a timely manner could potentially affect whether coverage will apply to the loss.

What I have a loan or lease on my vehicle?

If your vehicle is leased or under loan, the insurable interest of the loan/lease company must be protected as well; thus, any settlement checks for vehicle damage must be jointly issued to both you and the lien/leaseholder or to you and your body shop.

What should I do about loan and/or insurance payments if my vehicle is a total loss?

If any loan or insurance payments are due on the vehicle during the total loss claim process, it is in your best interest to keep up with your payments. Once the claim process is complete, policies and loans are typically adjusted retroactively based on when the loss occurred. You don’t want to incur any potential penalties that may come with late payments.

Should I file a police report?

If the police responded to the scene of an accident, then you may not need to make a separate report; however, if you are unsure, it is best to speak with the police department that has jurisdiction for the loss location.

If the police responded to the scene, you should obtain the department’s name and report number, if available, and provide these details to your adjuster. Your adjuster will request a copy of the police report. You can help speed the process by getting a copy of the report and sending it to us.

Learn why filing an accident report with the police is a good idea.

I don’t think I am at fault, so why should I report this to Electric Insurance?

All accidents and losses should be reported; a licensed adjuster will complete a full liability investigation to determine fault in the loss. Even if you are planning to file with the other party’s insurance company, you must still notify us so that we can complete a liability investigation.

Do I have coverage for this loss?

In general, coverage cannot be confirmed unless you file a claim. Coverage for a loss is determined by a licensed adjuster who is an employee of Electric Insurance Company.

How does my policy deductible work? Will I have to pay my deductible?

The policy deductible is the amount you chose to pay in the event of any loss, regardless of fault. The amount you selected when you purchased or renewed your auto policy can be found on the Declarations Page of your policy. 

However, should you be found not at fault in the accident, we will make every effort to waive or recover your deductible from the at-fault party or their insurance carrier. The recovery process can take up to several months, depending on the circumstances of the event. Please note that there is never a guarantee of recovery. Recovery can be adversely affected by disputed liability, uninsured drivers, or many other resources.

Can I keep my vehicle if it is a total loss?

Most states have specific rules when it comes to whether you can retain and repair your vehicle. Your total loss adjuster will be able to review the requirements associated with retaining your vehicle. If you are able to retain your vehicle, your settlement will generally be less than it would if you did not retain your vehicle. This is because the salvage value and sometimes other items are usually deducted when calculating the settlement figures. To better understand your options, talk to your adjuster to go over the specific resources that may affect the settlement of your claim.

Product, service, program, credit, and discount availability and limits vary by state. The information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a full explanation of products, services or coverage. For more information, please contact Electric Insurance Company at 800.342.5342. If there are discrepancies between the information on this site and the policy, the terms in the policy apply.