6 Key Tips On Hurricane Coverage
Your home policy covers you – to your policy limits – for most hurricane-related damage. But there are six key coverage areas that are common policy “gaps and gotchas.” Our Risk Coach™ approach helps to break them out for you. Our aim is to help you better understand, so you can make informed choices. These choices can mean the difference between maintaining your financial well-being after a major loss and losing hundreds of thousands of dollars if your home is destroyed or badly damaged.
Six Key “Gaps and Gotchas”
- Outdated Coverage A amount
- Your policy’s co-insurance clause
- Additional Rebuilding Expense Coverage
- Flooding due to hard rain or tidal surges
- Water/Sewage backing up into your basement or cellar
- The default valuation method for claims made for your personal property (Coverage C)
Now That You Know, What Can You Do?
First things first: before hurricane season starts, review your policy to see what gaps and gotchas may be putting you at risk. And give us a call. We know that understanding the ins and outs of coverage can be tricky. That’s why our Electric Insurance Risk Coaches are here to help ensure you have the coverage you need.
Make sure you understand the difference between your policy’s base deductible and hurricane deductible. The latter is a different amount and would apply to damage caused by hurricanes.
- Read your policy’s Declaration Page to know your Coverage A and C amounts.
- Make sure your home’s Coverage A amount is at least 80% of its current replacement cost. Hint: It’s not the market value of your home.
- Check your policy to see if Additional Rebuilding Expense Coverage Cost Coverage is included.
- If you don’t have a Flood policy work with a Risk Coach to investigate one from the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Consider a Water Backup/Sump Overflow endorsement.
- Find out about a Replacement Cost on Contents endorsement.
What to Do Now
Call us to work with an Electric Insurance Risk Coach to help ensure you have the coverage you need. Our Risk Coaches are licensed insurance professionals who are glad to help you navigate the often-perplexing world of insurance coverage. Call us at 800.342.5342, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET.